Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Week of June 15, 2020

Hi folks!  I hope everyone is staying healthy and taking care of yourselves.  I have been tackling some home projects this first week off and am looking forward to two more weeks of break.  Tonight I will participate in a virtual charcuterie board making class.  Fun, RIGHT?!  I hope everyone has a safe fourth of July.  I think about each of you, everyday!


STAFFING:
Here are updates to our campus staffing so you can put faces with the names of our new hires and get to know them better.  Thank you for welcoming them all, whether they are in your house or grade, they are an important part of our FamiLEE.



Hello! My name is Josephine Shin, and I am honored to be joining such a fantastic team and community. I was born and raised in New Jersey and will be relocating to Texas with my husband this month. We are so excited to try Texas BBQ and explore everything the city has to offer. I graduated from Montclair University and have my teaching certification in Elementary Education. I’ve taught fourth grade for the past few years and it is my favorite grade to teach! I also enjoy spending time with friends and family, hiking, yoga, cooking, and traveling. I look forward to getting to know all of you and working with you!


Hi! I am Kelsie Wible, and I am so thankful and excited to get to join the incredible FamiLee this year! I grew up in DFW, and actually went to elementary school in Coppell. I graduated from Baylor University in 2016, and stayed in Waco, TX where I married my husband and began my teaching career. I have taught 2nd grade all three years and look forward to continuing in 2nd grade at Lee in the Fall! When I'm not at school, you can typically catch me watching sports, playing with my two pups, or spending time with family. I look forward to this school year and cannot wait to meet you all!



Hi, my name is Peggy Hamam (I go by Peg) I am so thrilled to be at Lee and getting to be a new famiLee member. I was born in Rockford, Illinois and have lived in Texas since the age of 3. I moved to Dallas in 1979 from Llano, Texas where I grew up.  In 1981, I met my husband and we have been married for 39 years. We have three boys that are all married and we are now empty nesters. I have 4 awesome grandchildren 3 girls and a boy; with another one on the way due in October of this year which we just found out it is another girl.
I started in the education field as an English as a Second Language Pre-Kindergarten teacher in Amman, Jordan then moved up to Kindergarten with a total of 4 teaching years while living abroad. We moved to Amman in 1992 for my children to learn the language, customs, and traditions. We came back to the states in 1998. 
In 1999, I began substituting for the HEB school district and then became the Attendance Secretary in 2001, at Euless Junior High, later becoming the Receptionist. I left for a short while and tried to work from home as a home-based American Airlines Representative.  I then went on to charter schools and worked as the PEIMS Coordinator and Registrar for 9 ½ years.  I left because I started watching my grandchildren which I did for 1½ years, I am so excited to get back to work outside the home. I am excited to meet and make new friends and see the friends that I have worked with before.  My hobbies are cooking and baking, you will all get to try my treats from time to time. I love to craft, as well, which includes making cards and learning new things on my Cricut machine.



I am Alex Pinela and I graduated from New Mexico State University in Communication Sciences and Disorders. I began my speech therapy journey in El Paso TX working with people from infancy up to adolescence. I got married to a band director and soon we found ourselves living in the Dallas area. While I got settled in the area, I became an ESL instructional aide at CMS West and fell in love with the program. For this reason, I made the decision to make a career change and pursued education. My first teaching opportunity was special education in Plano ISD and I taught 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th graders. However, as a former ESL student myself, I was always waiting for the lucky day to become an ESL Facilitator until last year when I had the opportunity to begin at CRE. On a side note, we have two fur babies, we love to travel, and do outdoor activities. I am super excited to be joining you at Lee. I can’t wait to meet you all in person and see all of the great things we can do together! 



Hello everyone! My name is Carley Riggins and I feel so blessed to be joining Lee as a 4th grade teacher! I grew up in Northwest Arkansas and graduated with my Masters in Teaching in 2019 from the University of Arkansas. Throughout college, I made so many friends from the DFW area and visited so much that it became a second home and I knew I had to move here one day. I just finished my first year of teaching in Springdale, Arkansas where I taught 5th grade Science. I love traveling, going to concerts, drinking coffee, and exploring new places. I can already feel the love and support from the Lee family and I am so excited to meet everyone and grow with you this year!  



UPDATES WITH COVID-19
COVID-19 has uprooted your classroom teaching and learning forcing you to step into new roles.  Children's ability to learn is tied to feeling safe, accepted, and empowered before they can learn.  Living in quarantine is stressful for educators, caregivers and especially learners.  Though children may seem relatively fine on the surface, they may be struggling with worries and anxieties they cannot express.  If you are looking for some new learning that will help you in helping your learners through pandemic trauma, I highly encourage you to participate in the FREE TCU Trauma Informed Classrooms training.

Coppell ISD has already made the decision that 2020 Meet the Teacher and Curriculum Night will be done through virtual means.  Our campus leadership team and the district is tasked with designing what this will look like (with consistency among all elementary campuses) and I will keep you informed along the way.  If you have ideas or skills you would like to bring to this task, please feel free to let me know.

Please encourage your families to complete the second parent/guardian survey that will go out next week.  The survey is open until July 20.


COPPELL EDUCATION FOUNDATION GRANTS
The fall semester will be here before we know it, so the Coppell Education Foundation wants to give educators some extra time to prepare your applications for the CISD Ed Foundations Grant Program.  The grants will open July 1 and close on September 11.  Educators can fill out this Google form to receive their log-in credentials.  If you submitted an application last year, log-in credentials are still valid.  Attached are the 2020 Grant Submission Guidelines that explain the process and timeline for the CEF Grant Program.  GOOD LUCK!

   

#RJLSUMMERSELFIE
Keep up the participation.  It is nice to see what everyone is up do during the summertime.  

SUMMER PROFESSIONAL LEARNING
CISD Virtual Professional Learning took place on June 24 and 25.  The focus was on SEL and Digital Learning.  Webinar and learning experiences will extend through the summer.   Please read the email from Brooke Sims titled #CISDLearns - Summer Virtual Learning for details about access, credit, and reflection.


REQUIRED COMPLIANCE TRAINING
Your 2020-21 CISD Compliance Course is loaded in Schoology.  The content in this course is important as compliance training covers local, state, and federal requirements that must be completed annually.  Dr. Hunt has approved 3 hours of Flex credit and Texas SBEC credit for employees.  Use the code 9J7N-38VS-7WF2S to join the new course and complete required compliance content for the 2020-2021 school year.  You should pay close attention to the due dates located on each folder.  Most of the content folders require you to view a presentation and then complete a task.  


SUMMER CHOICE BOARDS 
Did you know that CISD is sharing Summer Choice Boards for our K-2 and 3-5 learners?  I encourage you to share these with your parents as they change in July.  Here is a link to the district website with information about these.

bbq

PLANS FOR OPENING THE 2020 SCHOOL YEAR
I want you to take comfort in the fact that there is a CISD Task Force that is working through 3 plans for our return to school in August.  We are still planning a return of educators on August 5 and learners on August 12.  We will keep you informed along the way and your health and safety as well as the health and safety of the children are in the forefront.


NEW HIRES
As a new hire, I am sure you are thinking about what you can do to start getting ready for your new adventure at Lee.  This blog I would encourage you to:
  1. Check out our Faculty Website.  You will want to bookmark this site.  It has all you need to know and MORE!

TO DO FOR ALL:
  • Fill out this form so we can learn all about your favorites.  It also helps us with ordering your school shirts for the school year.
  • Read the RJL Campus Handbook, NOW, so you don't have to worry about it when school is in session.

LOOKIE LOOKIE!
Things have been happening on campus since the last day of school.  Check out the progress:

 New dry erase walls are being framed throughout the campus!

They are MAGNETIC, too, and can be cleaned with WINDEX!  No more ghosting!  Room for word walls above, now!

New laser projectors were added to all of the mobile carts!

No comments:

Post a Comment